La Maquina (Calif.) 2, L.A. Wolves FC (Calif.) 0
In a Third Round match between two Open Division teams, La Maquina found the early goal via a head from Edwin Barboa in the 17th minute. The home side continued to press into the second half when Barboa tallied his second of the match from a direct free kick in the 68th minute, giving the side a 2-0 win. With the victory La Maquina advances to the Fourth Round where they’ll pay a visit to the LA Galaxy on June 15.
L.A. Wolves FC (Calif.) at La Maquina (Calif.)
Time/Location: 7 p.m. PT; Westminster High School; Westminster, Calif.
L.A. Wolves FC Previous Appearances (Best Finish): First appearance (2016: Third Round)
La Maquina Previous Appearances (Best Finish): First appearance (2016: Third Round)
- It’s been a wild ride to the U.S. Open Cup Third Round for L.A. Wolves FC. Despite originally losing 2-1 in the First Round to the Ventura County Fusion, L.A. Wolves FC advanced to the Second Round after they protested the result due to their opponent’s use of an ineligible player.
- In the Second Round, Wolves pulled the “Cupset” over Orange County Blues, defeating the USL side 4-2 on penalty kicks following a 1-1 draw.
- L.A. Wolves FC arrived in their first U.S. Open Cup with a 3-1 victory against Del Rey City SC on October 24 and 2-1 win against Cal FC on November 22.
- La Maquina arrived in the Third Round by virtue of a 2-0 victory against Sacramento Gold in Second Round play on May 18. Prior to that win, La Maquina used goals from Alejandro Velasquez and Edwin Barboa in the side’s 2-0 win at Portland Timbers U-23s on May 11.
- La Maquina advanced to the U.S. Open Cup after defeating Strikers FC South Coast 3-2 on October 24 and Chula Vista FC on November 21.
- The winner will visit the LA Galaxy in Fourth Round play on June 15.