Sacramento Republic (USL) 1, Kitsap Pumas (PDL) 3
Kitsap Pumas executed a perfect smash and grab victory on the road at Sacramento Republic FC in the Open Cup’s Third Round nightcap Wednesday evening. After a first half with nothing separating the sides, Pumas turned in three goals in five minutes to run away with a win 3-1 at Bonney Field. Javier Castro grabbed two goals for Pumas, netting in the 60th and 65th minutes, either side of a Mike Ramos strike in the 63rd. In the flurry of goals Sacramento managed to grab an equalizer through Cameron Iwasa in the 61st, but that would last just 90 seconds before Pumas landed the knockout blows. With the victory, Kitsap advances to a Fourth Round date with Seattle Sounders FC on June 15.
Kitsap Pumas (PDL) at Sacramento Republic (USL)
Time/Location: 8 p.m. PT; Bonney Field; Sacramento, Calif.
Kitsap Pumas Previous Appearances (Best Finish): Sixth appearance (2011, 2016: Third Round)
Sacramento Republic FC Previous Appearances (Best Finish): Third appearance (2014-2016: Fourth Round)
- Kitsap arrived in the Third Round thanks to a 90th minute winner from Javier Castro as the side defeated Sounders FC U-23s 1-0 on May 18.
- Kitsap was granted a bye into the second round by virtue of being the highest finishing 2015 PDL participant in this year’s tournament.
- Sacramento Republic used goals from Alfonso Motagalvan, Carlos Rodriguez, Mackenzie Pridham, Thomas Stewart and Max Alvarez to dispatch CD Aguiluchos USA 5-0 in Second Round play on May 18.
- Sacramento enters the match with a 4-3-2 (14 pts.) league record, placing them sixth in the USL’s Western Conference, while Kitsap is 1-2-2 (5 pts.) on the young PDL season.
- The winner of the match will visit Seattle Sounders FC in Fourth Round play on June 15.