Chattanooga FC (NPSL) 1, Harrisburg City Islanders (USL) 2
One of the tournament’s last remaining amateur sides, Chattanooga FC had the appetite for a ‘Cupset’ in its Third Round U.S. Open Cup match against Division III opponent Harrisburg City Islanders, but couldn’t maintain its initial lead gained just before the break. Despite Soren Yuhaschek giving the hosts the 1-0 lead, Harrisburg responded in the second half through Craig Foster’s volley in the 71st minute. Foster was involved again nine minutes later as he collected the flick-on from a long goal kick and fed Paul Wilson for the game winning strike. Harrisburg moves on to a Fourth Round match-up with the Philadelphia Union at Talen Energy Stadium on June 15.
Harrisburg City Islanders (USL) at Chattanooga FC (NPSL)
Time/Location: 7:30 p.m. ET; Finley Stadium; Chattanooga, Tenn.
Harrisburg City Islanders Previous Appearances (Best Finish): 10th appearance (Quarterfinals: 2007, 2009-2010, 2012)
Chattanooga FC Previous Appearances (Best Finish): Fifth appearance (Third Round: 2014-2016)
- Harrisburg advanced to the Third Round thanks to goals from Bobby Warshaw and Matt Boluc in the team’s 2-0 win against West Chester United on May 11.
- Chattanooga arrived in the Third Round by defeating Reading United 4-1 on penalty kicks following a 0-0 draw.
- Making their 10th appearance in the competition, Harrisburg advanced to the Third Round in 2015, defeating Reading United AC 3-0 in the Second Round before falling to the Rochester Rhinos 3-1..
- One of the darlings of last year’s tournament, Chattanooga FC will hope improve upon their run to their third round run in 2015 where they defeated the Ocala Stampede 4-2 on penalty kicks in the First round and Wilmington Hammerheads 5-3 on penalty kicks in the Second Round before falling 2-1 to the Atlanta Silverbacks in extra time.
- The NPSL’s highest finishing participant club in 2015, Chattanooga was granted a First Round bye in this year’s tournament.
- The winner will pay a visit to the Philadelphia Union in Fourth Round play on June 15.