Sacramento Republic FC (USL) 5, CD Aguiluchos USA (Calif.) (NPSL) 0
Sacramento Republic FC opened its 2016 U.S. Open Cup journey with an impressive performance in a 5-0 victory over CD Aguiluchos USA. After having a PK saved by Aguiluchos goalkeeper Kevin Gonzalez, Sacramento Republic began to take advantage of set pieces. Max Alvarez assisted Alfonso Motagalvan and Carlos Rodriguez on two first half corner kick goals and set up another in the 35th minute when his free kick was deflected to Mackenzie Pridham, who smashed home a shot from close range. Sac Republic added goals in stoppage time of both halves as Thomas Stewart scored just before halftime and Max Alvarez curled in a free kick in second half stoppage time. Sacramento hosts Kitsap Pumas in the Third Round on June 1.
CD Aguiluchos USA (Calif.) (NPSL) at Sacramento Republic FC (USL)
Time/Location: 7:30 p.m. PT; Bonney Field; Sacramento, Calif.
CD Aguiluchos USA Previous Appearances (Best Finish): First appearance (2016: Second Round)
Sacramento Republic FC Previous Appearances (Best Finish): First appearance (2014, 2015: Fourth Round)
- CD Aguiluchos USA began their first Open Cup appearance with an emphatic 3-0 win against San Francisco City FC, behind goals from Simon Rawsley, Miguel Santiago and Ricardo Guerra.
- CD Aguiluchos qualified for their first U.S. Open Cup after advancing to the NPSL’s National Semifinals in 2015.
- In their third year, Sacramento Republic will hope to begin a run that takes the club past the fourth round of Open Cup play for the first time. In 2015, the USL side defeated the Sonoma County Sol 4-2 in the second round and Chula Vista FC 7-3 in third round play before falling 6-5 on penalty kicks to the San Jose Earthquakes following a 2-2 draw at Avaya Stadium.
- Thomas Stewart, who finished third in the 2015 U.S. Open Cup’s Golden Boot race with four goals returns for Sacramento Republic this season.
- Eight matches into their USL campaign, Sacramento sits fourth in the USL’s Western Conference with a 4-3-1 record.